Your influence greatly impacts a mother’s decision to breastfeed. Your role is vital in helping mothers realize the benefits of breastfeeding. Below are a few tips to create a breastfeeding-friendly practice.
- Train your staff to be competent in lactation management.
- Build staff confidence through regular updates.
- Involve your staff in creating a breastfeeding-friendly environment.
- Ensure staff gives consistent breastfeeding messages.
- Talk to mothers about the importance of breastfeeding.
- Provide up-to-date resources.
- Display and share educational materials that are free of commercial (infant formula) influence.
- Refer women to breastfeeding classes, Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and provide follow-up.
- Include the mother’s support person in breastfeeding education.
- Discuss the Breastfeeding Mothers’ Bill of Rights.
Listen to Your Patients
- Encourage mothers to talk about breastfeeding. Start by asking open-ended questions.
- Affirm her feelings and provide the appropriate information.
- Be supportive at each visit.
Reinforce Your Message
- Prominently display breastfeeding information and promotional materials.
- Remove coupons, samples and resources provided by formula companies.
- Ensure staff uses positive language that supports breastfeeding.